Idea: Something for your pwnagotchi to do at home

I’m trying to think of something that the pwnagotchi could do when its at home to raise its happiness (some) compared to just walking around. The way things are set up it’s disincentive to run the device at home all the time, rather than shutting it off and walking around.

Home should probably be defined when one (or more) whitelisted networks are present as well as some that it has seen before. A system to recognize this and put it into a different mode that also provides some value, not as much as walking around, could be useful. Considering how ineffectual the pwnagotchi is at breaking hashes itself doesn’t lend that to being a good idea.

What would you have your pwnagotchi do while its at home to raise its happiness some when it’s a home or work environment where you are not moving around constantly?

8 Likes

That’s a very good idea and you remarked the right issues: given that most of the visible networks (or at least the one with the strongest signal) at home are going to be whitelisted, what can it do?

Maybe the quickdic plugin, that attempts to crack the handshakes locally with relatively small wordlists, could be started during this phase?

I’m curious to listen to other ideas about it …

1 Like

I believe the pwnagotchis can contribute to wpa-sec ( https://wpa-sec.stanev.org/? ) or maybe some other ‘distributed volunteer computing’ ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects )

5 Likes

mmm i have to admit that i know very very very little about the wpa-sec project … i know we have a plugin to upload stuff to it, but it can also do distributed cracking? that’s very interesting … i wonder if anybody tested the impact on a single arm core.

I think I need to implement a new “on_idle” callback for plugins so that actions can be performed during inactive times …

2 Likes

You just have to download a python-script from wpa-sec (help_crack.py) and run it. Depends on hashcat OR john the ripper. Didn’t try it on the py yet.

1 Like

I’m sure a lot of the plugins would benefit from an on_idle event.
While uploading data to Wigle, updating, and copying backups/handshakes from my pi are all things I could technically do while tethered, it just feels like those should be done upon arriving at home.
I have no idea how hard it is to put the pi into and out of monitor mode, but if it could connect to our homewifi to perform those tasks and then go back to it’s standard mode, that would be really useful.

3 Likes

If wpa-sec let’s you know that your efforts contributed to a hash being broken directly? If so that would be perfect!

The main things I would like to know in this case is if you are put into a pool to crack hashes or if the whole network is working on something. If it’s pooled then you could have a small happiness increase for a pool success. If it also let you know that your machine was the one that cracked it you could have a much higher happiness value associated. Will have to do some research!

I don’t think so

i think pool cracking hashes would be cool

2 Likes

if you could set some wifi ssid as home and friendly, with passwords, if it was getting bored, and saw those networks, switch off mon mode, connect, run the wpa-sec script - maybe run nmap scan on home lan and email you stats like whos on, kind of like a intrusion detection/security guard who wanders around :slight_smile: I know when i set a device to do this i was shocked at the number of devices…

maybe random animation it plays noughts and crosses with itself? tetris gif? hangman?

what bettercap tools could run connected to wifi?

3 Likes

I believe that connecting to “friendly” networks would certainly be handy. WPA-SEC also shows a list of passwords for networks that the bot can connect to. You do need the jumbo edition of john-the-ripper and a huge wordlist to crack the other 99%, which it can do when the pwnagotchi is bored.

Another one (but this one makes the pwnagotchi more evil) is to sniff “open” networks and listen for passwords that are being sent in plain-text (wall of sheep).

2 Likes

so basically this https://github.com/evilsocket/pwnagotchi/issues/207

1 Like

Issue #207 is indeed a handy feature when it’s bored. Basically it needs to transition from “bored” to “cracking” when it runs a cracking algorithm, or from “bored” to “pwning” when it has no networks to capture handshakes from but there are networks that have the potential for capturing “handshakes” (session ID’s, passwords, etc).

A wifi device signal measurement based doorbell or nearby unknown device monitoring type functionality may be useful for when in a speculative 'home mode’.

Put list of devices that you are okay with or know to be nearby and or non location differing local devices as config, set signal strength reading from decibel level / set distance in feet/meters and calculate approximate distance from signal measurement level and trigger at that range for devices of interest or unknowns or even known devices for coming home, leaving home notices.

Can use either bluetooth recon packet signal level ranges read or wifi device packet signal level ranges read or both like having ble.recon and wifi.recon on in bettercap process and filtering incoming data to plugin program for data processing and output to e-ink display or mobile/desktop notification for the ‘Is anyone lurking around the house’

Hypothetical security helper scenario

The video security footage captured during a home invasion / B&E failed to help as the intruders wore masks.
Luckily one or more of them forgot to turn off their wifi or bluetooth functionality on their phone before carrying out the criminal act and perhaps a device’s MAC addresses was logged by the ‘who’s lurking around my house’ plugin’ and it can potentially aid the investigators

Alternatively useful as a way to notify when someone expected or not is about to ring the doorbell :stuck_out_tongue:

these features were being done by a project called fingbox…they were bought out, the android app is still good, thing it goes by domotz now? have to say id love those features and this AI, would literally leave one at home 24/7 lol, it could have fat chats with my mobile ones…

:heart_eyes:

With several pwnagotchi units set up around the area of interest (such as ones house) one could get fairly accurate 'lurking nearby’ device locations to for example know what side of house the lurker/friend is to further filter out functionality such as knowing if someone is casing a house for theft or creeping by matching expected moment behaviours for such a activities relative to ones set up.

Using the packet information (such as signal strength measurements) for the same packets and compare the packet data differences between the pwnagotchi devices set up around the home combined with the pwnagotchi devices set up around the home knowing where they and other ones are located and relative distances from each other, many use cases and neat data analysis possibilities open up.

Device-free human micro-activity recognition method using WiFi signals

Human activity tracking plays a vital role in human–computer interaction. Traditional human activity recognition (HAR) methods adopt special devices, such as cameras and sensors, to track both macro- and micro-activities. Recently, wireless signals have been exploited to track human motion and activities in indoor environments without additional equipment. This study proposes a device-free WiFi-based micro-activity recognition method that leverages the channel state information (CSI) of wireless signals. Different from existed CSI-based micro-activity recognition methods, the proposed method extracts both amplitude and phase information from CSI, thereby providing more information and increasing detection accuracy. The proposed method harnesses an effective signal processing technique to reveal the unique patterns of each activity. We applied a machine learning algorithm to recognize the proposed micro-activities. The proposed method has been evaluated in both line of sight (LOS) and none line of sight (NLOS) scenarios, and the empirical results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method with several users.

:smiley:

Cracking when idle is cool, yes, running the top 500 worst passwords wordlist or something.

But how about detection of deauth packets or MITM ARP spoofing (like a passive defense/alert mode). After all, if he’s at home, in his nest, its his territory.

6 Likes

I like the idea that it turns into a defender at home

4 Likes

I actually started working on something like that myself about three or four years ago.
It has a list of Mac addresses that are “known”. And you could assign names to them. It would scan the nearby area and tell you who all it found, plus any MACs that aren’t on your list.

At one point I had it hooked up to a Telegram not. You could message it and say /scan and it would reply with the results.
Alternatively you could use for example “/scan 120” for a longer scan.

I’ll pick it up again.

My programming skills were abysmal back then, don’t laugh:

1 Like

@FractumSeraph bettercap already does that, so we wouldn’t even need additional software … each MAC (if connected to the network) or BSSID (if on monitor) can be associated to an “alias” and tracked via its API

1 Like